Teaching in the Age of Technology

What does it mean to have so much information at hand? In a million years I would have imagined education would change so much due to technology. I never thought you could be teaching and listen to a student in the back, "I don´t think what you´re saying seems right, I´ll google it". Then after a few minutes after, answer herself, "Oh, I guess it is..."

What does it mean for students to multi-task whenever they´re taking a class? It seems to me when I walk around, I find different open windows on their computers aside my class, from other subjects to chats, from social networks to YouTube. But they are somehow paying a third of their attention towards what I´m saying, I know that because sometimes they make the right questions.

Spans of attention, it seems new generations have small spans of attention and the fact they can challenge anything you say is not challenging in the sense you better have your shit right but in the sense of what is useful for them to learn from you that they can´t learn from a tutorial? Why are colleges still around when information could make out of any student a self-taught professional? Is awareness a forking path of open windows nowadays?

Comments