Vicente Fernandez, Acá entre Nos

It's not hard to imagine another kind of life. A parallel one where time is not what we conceive, where modernity is the fact there are actually working ATM's in the city. I have always wondered if the modern way is the way to live. Running against traffic, against time. When I sit back and look at this life I think maybe we are wrong. The most I have lived outside Mexico City in my own country was in my Social Service, for three months I lived in Chocholá de los Venados in the outskirts of Yucatán.

Even then, I wondered what would happen to the women that worked with sisal, to the huge decaying extracting machines at old Haciendas. How long would I be able to live at that turkey's pace? Why has technology made us think we can live twice as long or multi-tasking our lives as if we were living fuller, broader lives?

I'm not dissing technology. "Technology is nor good or bad; nor is neutral" (Kransberg 1986) I'm just wondering if some ways could always remind us of having a center to return to when emoticons, privacy settings are broken and we no longer have free media to run to.






Comments