Melanie Smith, Tianguis II

I took this picture that reminded me about this Melanie Smith's project
Anyone roaming through Mexico can see we're far from what any president's reforms might preach. I'm developing a project and while I was walking through the streets I was alert to my surroundings. Long, colourful shoelaces were sold in a corner. Sitting on the floor, an old woman with her white braided hair sold blue tortillas, nopales and huitlacoche. Different size and models of T.V. controls were displayed over a thick cardboard and a huacal improvised by a vendor. Tacos, tortas and sopes were sold side by side, right in front of a store that offered the mixing of different fragrances to reproduce expensive perfumes.

For a moment I stopped my trail trying to remember where had I seen shoelaces been sold anywhere in Europe or in the US. Suddenly I wished any of the candidates, presidents or members of the cabinet were there with me. All these little elements add up and speak of a different language than the one in highly developed countries. While we are still struggling to get basic education for all, some countries are already talking about developing better methods of education. That's a huge gap of investment, time and effort we're talking about.

I also thought about resistance towards certain so-called improvements or progress from the state. But then again, while a cableway might seem a fancy response to environmental issues, and might seem like a good investment, it all comes down to business. Public investment making sure private sectors are sole owners of that profit.

I came out of my daze as I watched a police car making an illegal U turn and parking peacefully in front of a street policeman. He took money out of his back pocket and gave it to the couple in the patrol. Corruption is not something that only the government suffers from. It's the small crooked fish in the pond feeding the larger, greedy ones.

To end my reflection, I heard a story today. On a wedding, at a certain point through the party, the guests were told by the waiters they had no more whiskey but if people gave them 200 pesos, they would be able to get them some. This information finally got to the now, husband and wife. Preposterous they exclaimed! They bought 30 bottles of the best whiskey and of course, 13 bottles were still at the bar.

As harsh as this is, we will have to accept within our society, within ourselves, what kind of citizens are we? Are we kind to others or loyal to a cause, are we even conscious we need to fill the empty spaces that have not been developed by anyone? Are we willing to take the responsibility of making a better world for others rather than just for ourselves?

Comments