Ayotzinapa studerende vil ikke blive glemt

Diplomatic trips of our president are supposed to strengthen political liaisons and thus far, this sexennium has been filled with them. I'm really happy Peña Nieto has refrained himself from speaking in English (?), and I'm glad some people in Berlin showed up to tell him he has some other pending stuff on his agenda, his local one.



To more mundane stuff that connects to this latter, today I was forced to do something that no Mexican wants to do on their sane judgement, go to the SAT (our IRS) offices. Their online system is saturated and has failed to work properly, so to avoid penalties for some processes, you have to go there personally to try to get some appointment that same day.


As I found out, I didn't make the cut for the appointment and my accountant was extremely worried, so I pleadingly asked the man at the counter what was I supposed to do and he told me they were oversaturated, and that all I could do was to come at 7 a.m. tomorrow to get a number for a possible appointment. What? I asked him half jokingly if the SAT office was like the Liconsa Milk Program [a governmental program that distributes milk], one that either you got there early or you got none but he didn't laugh.


A few hours later I was driving some other place and I found this man, who was selling cigarets and candies on the street. I noticed he was wearing a very original apron and I asked him who had made it. He told me he had it tailored for him and his products. I love creativity and I asked if I could take a picture of him. He agreed under one condition, that I gave him back his picture printed because he wanted to get a job. He had no reading or writing skills due to the lack of any previous elementary school but he was avid for any kind of work.


Mexicans are a working bunch, some with skills, some with extremely creative improvisation powers. My small reflection at 5 days before the Second Ayotzinapa Information Meeting (streaming online), is that while I'm busting my ass, like millions of Mexicans to either get an appointment, or a better job, or get first in line to get some milk... I'm trying to do my part to improve the quality of my life while I know my taxes may provide an unsurmountable wealth to entrepreneurs regulating our services or others that wear expensive suits on diplomatic tours. Just like any of us, the parents of the Ayotzinapa students, just want to know the truth and go back to work on coffee lands, on schools, on the streets, that is, if the governmentnot the GIEI allows, helps, and aids us to do so. 

Comments