Ann Miller, Prehistoric Man


Yesterday I was driving towards a store when a man driving on the left side of the road, drove his car towards the right, completely blocking me off the path. I hit the brakes and looked at him in awe, then honked once a tune (that stands as a "f... your mother") in the beautiful, warm and non-spoken Mexican tradition. Like the cohesive tribe we are, he honked twice back at me, which means "up yours".

Little did he know, we were both checking in on the same parking lot. As he was leaving his car with the valet, I came over to tell him, that next time, he'd better be careful with what he did, because he could have caused an accident.

He looked at me with certain disdain and uttered: "You women want everything, rights, jobs and even courtesy?" I froze. "Excuuuuse me?" I managed to say. He went on, "You can't have it all, you know?"

I stood still. Suddenly, decades of time recoiled, wheezing by, leaving my hair and clothes completely disheveled. I looked around and dinosaurs stomped the ground I was upon. A pterosaur crossed the sky. I looked at the Neanderthal man in front of me, his body was covered with hair and had a huge stick on his hand and kept grunting inteligible sounds that made up some words: "You... ooga...crazy... You... googa ...rude..."


All hell broke loose. There was no way I could ever make this prehistoric man understand we don't want everything, we just want our rights, our paths and ways not to be cut off, short, tortured or in pieces. The You can't have it all statement is the main point of harassment and femicide. Is what men use to justify their vengeful actions and anger towards the rising voices of many woman that believe this is not right anymore.

I lashed my frustration against him, nothing serious of course, I remained in my semi-civilised era but still, I raised my voice. "All? What is all? You cut off my path and I'm the one who's rude?" A triceratops stopped eating grass and slowly tilted his head up till it boringly looked at me. This was pointless.



Maybe we don't have videos for disciplining women (above), but the physical and verbal domestic violence in Mexican families sometimes pale in comparison with these culturally and I dare say, retrograde videos. 

In this corrupt and perverse environment, we have two choices, to try to breach for class and gender equality without retaliation or kill each other as we supply entertainment for a government that keeps munching pop corn in golden covered cardboard boxes. Presidents and governors laughing at the moving scenes as they look for disappeared people with a crystal ball or in this case, 645 million pesos that "vanished" from the state of Veracruz.

Contrary to Ann Miller, I'd rather meet men (not with bow and tie) but definitely who can dance to a bebop.

Comments