Kraftwerk, Computer Love



I will start by saying, I am not a mother. I have no idea what it means to entertain a little one 24/7, and the only interventions I'm close to feeling that, is with my nieces where the little time we have together, they become my personal center stage, whether they are jumping, playing cards or even watching a movie.

Ways in which technology has shaped us are many, positive and negative. But the fact every person in a family, can now, hold a device in the same table and become an island to themselves, over dinner, at a restaurant, just baffles me completely. What did you go to a restaurant for? Why not stay home, order pizza and leave everyone to their own devices, in their own rooms?

What is the point of sitting together yet apart? If this kid were a bit older I would be more understanding with puberty and its needs, but here, I was witnessing a tragedy that sadly, is not unusual nowadays. 

Later on, some young men and women arrive at colleges, with their abandoned souls. Accompanied through their short lifetime by technological babysitters, virtual mothers and fathers: TVs, Netflixes, Games, X-boxes, VR devices.

Was that recipe more important than talking to your kid? Was that meme, coming from an external source more pressing than watching how precious it is (in this country), a healthy, young individual, opening to the world?

Comments