Soumaya Museum










When I first read the review for this museum, I lived in New Orleans. It was criticized for Fernando Romero's architecture, the art pieces in it, the curatorial aspect and in general a constant rage around Slim's (one of the wealthiest men in the world) micro empire of malls, museums, a convention center and soon, the US Embassy.

Soumaya Museum is comprised of 6 floors, each has a specific type of era or subject. From numismatic art to religious paintings to modern art. There is a floor dedicated to temporary exhibits which in this case was dedicated to the ivory carvings in India.

Did I mention entrance is free on Sundays? When I first entered the museum I was taken aback by the music on the lobby. I could appreciate a copy of Rodin's, The Thinker and listen to a band of teenagers singing on what seemed a Mezcal promotion.

After two floors I realized there were so many objects and paintings from different places that my mind quickly got tired by the fourth floor. It was packed with art works, not enough white spaces between them made the experience a bit frustrating, the kind of feeling you get when you are in a maze.

But by the third floor I paused for a bit, the ivory carvings was the floor that had the most people. So my focus changed to the people, all classes of people. Ones that had the "tortas" or meals in plastic white bags or the high end family of four that could well possibly live in Polanco quartier and probably eating afterwards in the Antara Fashion Mall

I think Slim succeeded in bringing art closer to the people. A mash-up of art from everywhere and in abundance, whether its good or not I think to some of the people that visit the museum won't notice or even care. Who cares if they are minor works of art if they're from Rembrandt? Some of the less fortunate people don't even know who Rembrandt is at all and these work as a perfect introduction. I also think he succeeded in bringing art from around the world and set it in one place. 

The only question I have is whether art for the less informed people should be displayed in the same way of an informed one, not necessarily to address the needs of the latter but to have a quality experience without realizing it so. Would that be better than finding de chile, sal y de manteca (referring to flavor of tamales mixed together in a pan) and leaving the museum thinking that is the way to experience art?

Comments