Demolition Diva @ Desire St.

Yesterday I went to my friend's house to get some demolition going. While I was busting a shed apart I started thinking on how demolition really is the same as an installation but in a reverse process. Both acts have some performance in it and I relish in them, I guess because you can only rely in yourself for these acts. 

Amazing discoveries of demolition so far: S@%t's comin' down whether it likes it or not! Meaning: there is always a way to tear things apart. If a hammer is not enough, then you use your body and if that fails, you go back and analyze the situation (maybe taking the nails off is better than the use of force?). Whatever works to make it happen but it will eventually fall under one's will or effort. And to be honest there's an amazing sense of certainty on that.

Another thing, while I was tearing a moldy ceiling apart with a crowbar, it came over me that I'm in fact in the process of demolishing mental and emotional structures of my own. Sometimes ideas and beliefs pile up in these mysterious ways making us feel safe but honestly, they are just a pile of old and outdated moldy stuff that is not useful at all. These structures that made us who we are might be getting in the way of reconfiguring ourselves to something else entirely.

I felt in the end, in my romantic vision of things that these obsolete structures had something to do with desire and placing myself voluntarily on other people's needs more than mine and I felt so angry with myself that it was just what I required to tear that ceiling apart and clean up the whole debris in the dumpster.

My friend got a little bit competitive and we started racing each other on this task. By the end of the day she said she appreciated my help. I kept thanking her because that's what friends do, they help you in ways they never imagine, isn't that amazing?




Comments