Learn to say 'Fuck You' to the world once in a while

 
Someone recently told me happiness is in my hands. The first thing I thought that comment was as broad as saying World Peace. Where in my hands? Is it the right hand? In the acting of both? Where does one start?

To be honest, I have been trying. I have been endlessly applying to many things lately and all I'm getting back is a big, fat NO from every possibility I have been exploring. Not only in New Orleans but in other states (even in my own country). So these last few days I have been kind of discouraged.

Good news is I might be doing some (unpaid but really rewarding) installation work at the CAC. Another good news is I'm re-designing a corporate image for a locally owned business (and good friend).

I'm trying to be assertive I guess, being at what feels as a crossroad. But I guess it's OK to feel like this. In the book I'm reading, Sol LeWitt writes to Eva Hesse:

"'Learn to say 'Fuck You' to the world once in a while,' Le Witt told Hesse. 'You have every right to. Just stop thinking, worrying, looking over your shoulder, wondering, doubting, fearing, hurting, hoping for some easy way out, struggling, gasping, confusing, itching, scratching, mumbling, bumbling, grumbling, humbling, stumbling, rumbling, rambling, gambling, tumbling, scumbling, scrambling, hitching, hatching, bitching, moaning, groaning, honing, boning, horse-shitting, hair-splitting, nit-picking, piss-trickling, nose-sticking, ass-gouging, eyeball-poking, finger-pointing, alleyway-sneaking, long waiting, small stepping, evil-eyeing, back-scratching, searching, perching, besmirching, grinding, grinding, grinding away at yourself. Stop it and just DO.

Don't worry about cool. Make your own uncool. Make your own own world.'"
The Accidental Masterpiece: On the Art of Life and Vice Versa, Michael Kimmelman

Comments