Natalia Clavier, Nada

As I was flying into Mexico, a girl that was on the plane by my side pointed out how big the city seemed to her. It is. She then asked me Mexico's population and I failed to give her that information. I promised I would Google that. I don't know if this is the latest count but it seems this city is home to 112 million 336 thousand and 538 people.

Overflying this intricate city an immediate thought hit my brain. One of New Orleans and I thought: I come from a different world and by this simple recognition it seems I've finally been able to assume the irreconcilable dimensions between one place and the other. Neither is better, they're just very different.

One of my dearest friends here has pointed out how she was once rock climbing and got stuck way up high. She was clinging up there, holding on to a spot and trying to look for a small crevice that would allow her to climb up further. The longer you stay forcefully on one spot, the easier you get tired, but she was paralyzed. She realized she had nowhere to go but down. Someone yelled from the ground to let her know she could rest for a bit, that someone held her back. So she let go.

She then rested for a bit and for sure, found her way out of the rocks. That situation taught her there's always a way out, even from the most difficult situations. But also that you have to learn how to rely in others.


Looking back, I believe I placed myself frantically on that same spot from two standpoints, a personal whose reasons only belong to me but the second one was part art-professional demand part the need for social acceptance in N.O. Until... I heard someone yelling at me from the ground. The people that held me through this process know exactly who they are and what they have done for me. I will keep resting for a bit amongst their presence until I see a crevice I haven't explored yet and move on. My loving thoughts to you this Thanksgiving.

My greatest failure I believe was the lack of enjoyment of life throughout this process. "Life is just four seconds long and three of them have already gone by." This trip will allow simple freelancing work for some clients, some nights a certain commitment to my portable project but more than anything, tomorrow as I leave for Colombia will I try to laugh (heheh), I will devote all my efforts to enjoy myself.

Comments