How do you know if you´re teaching correctly?


So you have been taught correct? You know what it is that makes a good teacher. It´s like quality, you appreciate it when you see it but if I asked what was it that makes that object or experience of quality, you would probably end up telling me different characteristics of the space, the lighting or the technique applied to it. (One of the best books about quality ponderings in my opinion is here).

I have been taking an induction course for the college I´m teaching. It´s very interesting. They have a philosophy behind the teaching methods that is based on a humanist model. One based in Loyola´s teachings and though I´n not religious at all I do see how those teachings can be reinterpreted in a teaching environment. It´s called Magis and it´s all about becoming the best you can be in order to give it or share it with others, living in aspiration and becoming an inspiration.

As usual what´s in paper is far away from reality, and what I mean with this comment is that teaching is hard. You can spend a whole weekend planning good themes, a new teaching strategy or exercises that will be useful in their life and yet, after two hours, students didn´t react at all. And according to teaching standards, that is a bad sign.

I see a lot of potential and I want to squeeze that out of them. 

Comments