Culturally Colourful?

When I was conceptualising my master's thesis, I remember writing about the use of colour in Mexico. Back then, I was actually making that affirmation from a concept that I recollected from my memory. While living in New Orleans, I happily noted the combination of colours in their houses gloriously contrasted so much from my previous light pastels experience in Rhode Island. It reminded me of home somehow.

Since I've been back in Mexico I can actually confirm we are still colourful people. I wonder if it's just something we repeat culturally or if it's an expression of who we are. Do we use colour because it sells or because we're happy? Do we have reasons to be so, when some unjust situations have prevailed almost millennially? Given the fact artisans have always lived in poor conditions, what if it all was a projection of how we as a culture would like to be perceived?



Comments