Colegio de México, More are Missing: 43 Voices for Ayotzinapa


"As the saying goes, hmm, I'm barely assembled by this thin skin, that's currently holding my bones together because otherwise, I would have disbanded myself [...] For us, everything is the same. For us, there's no... days don't pass. It's the same time. It's the same date".
Bertha Nava Ramírez (Mother of Julio César Ramírez Nava)

"In those moments you don't believe in anyone anymore [...] or anything for that matter because you have a concept of justice that you made throughout the years and then you start to question, who made up what, or why are things happening this way... that's when things change, your life changes, and at that point is when you can understand when people used to say I'm alive... but dead, I used to think: such a stupid remark; but now I understand because from that moment on, you're not the same anymore. I mean, at that specific point you're no longer afraid, or hungry, sometimes you don't even feel the time passing by, sometimes everything pisses you off, you have no illusions or projects, you know? and your mind starts racing about certain things and your life changes. [...] When we arrived [to Iguala], Marissa [his wife] was already there. [...] Then, when it was time to make the paperwork I was stunned to read 'homicide' on the death certificate and cerebral edema provoked by an object, or something like that. But it never said tortured or anything. [...] and I said, no way! I will not sign these papers. My nephew was tortured because when they asked us to recognise the body I looked everywhere... And I said: This is really shitty, because he had soldier's boots imprinted on his skin, because boots leave a mark [...] I looked closer and yes, it was him [Julio César], and then I saw a deeper mark, I saw the [...] edema or bruise as we call it, so people can understand us. The bruise was a hard one, the one in the clavicle, but it wasn't a deadly blow. Then what killed him was necessarily the flaying. They flayed him while he was alive".

Julio César Mondragón Fontes (nephew)

"Alan Knight (2014, p.32), when discussing violence in Mexico from an historical perspective, he states it's necessary to not consider violence as '...an irrational pathology  [...] or a demonic inheritance from a remote past, but merely as a group of rational and instrumental responses to particular circumstances, or if you want, a structured system of incentives. Violence happens because in many cases, it has worked before".
Juan Camilo Pantoja García

Comments