#SharedStudiosMexico, Portal







You see this container? It sounded like a great idea from sharedstudios, only if it had been open at the time it was supposed to. I was excited, freed my Saturday schedule to be there an hour earlier but there was no one there.

So I called the number on the reservation, Tomás, the guy in charge of this project, sounded pretty cool on the phone saying they had no reservations till 1pm, but he would be there in 10 minutes or so to clear this up. Two other girls got to the container, they were worried they were running late. 

By the time my reservation should have started, I saw Tomás from a distance slowly walking towards the container. "Ah, yes", he finally said to me, "I'm really sorry but maybe the booking system was probably the problem." I looked at him, then asked: "Really? Booking systems don't usually mess up..." "Oh", he replied "maybe there was a problem with the time differences in the booking system". I rolled my eyes. 

This is not a matter of someone being late. This is not about wasting my now expensive gas tank with some disappointment that took me somewhere I didn't expect. It is the fact, that if you are making these kind of participatory projects anywhere, you'd better make them well.

He then said, "Don't worry, there is really no one on the other side that's waiting online, as we are part of SXSW until today... Tomorrow the appointments are one on one". "I'm sorry, what?" I said. "Well it's not that we're necessarily part of the festival but it's part of SXSW Casa Mexico(@casamexicosxsw) a curated venue of us, but these are not one on one appointments."

Wow. "Where the hell did it stated these small nuances? Because if I had known the portal would be open to a musical festival / open ended venue to wave back with a drink on one hand, I would have not come all the way here for that experience".

"I know, I'm sorry," he said, you can tell everything to them in an email.

Well, to #SharedStudiosMexico F@%^ you. To #MuseoTamayo, you shouldn't get involved in projects that are not serious. My anger comes from the fact that if anyone should create a participatory art / social project, be there. Don't make the structure apparently good and the rest completely flimsy and unreliable. It's disrespectful to these kind of projects, to art and to the people that want to partake in them.

Comments