Just for today, fake beats bad news in Mexico


While driving and listening to the radio, I heard the following note:

Individuals kill baby, rape mother and 14 year-old daughter during an assault in the Mexico-Puebla highway.[source in Spanish]

With my fingers on the dial, I hesitated to move it to another radio station. It was as if I slowly pondered about opening a door with something so horrific and disturbing that for a minute, seemed better to ignore.

Yet, the words slowly sinked word by word into my consciousness, like a bag of tea, dyeing the clear water of my soul, turning it brown and opaque. After analyzing the information for a while I thought about the escalating of violence of the phrase: Individuals kill baby. Rape mother and 14 year-old daughter. Leave father and son unharmed (good I guess?). Took their truck away (who cares). 

In other words, eight alleged individuals not only took the life of an innocent baby by shooting him "accidentally",  they pulverized the lives of everyone in that once tight, nucleus.

I've listened to the news for decades in my country, yet I don't remember them being so sanguinary. It almost feels like there's a new pyramid emerging in every city in our country and there's an open season for sacrificing individuals, all ages, with the uttermost cruelty and unreal acts of savagery.

You might ask, how do Mexicans deal with these issues? Forty-three disappearances and no strong traces of indignation are left in our minds, no organizations fueled out of justice taking place.

Well, the truth is we just tiptoe around it. We live upon a metal brazier, inhaling smoke from cremated corpses underneath. Coughing and avoiding the flames that engorge those we love the most, hoping we never get to live that sudden, irreparable set of events that bring us to an early death as we, the "lucky ones" get to keep breathing, spared but forever broken. 

This is one terrible news that doesn't compare with others internationally or even local ones that deal with corruption scandals and public figures receiving death threats while peeing in a bathroom, advised to stop talking about the president.

I believe it shows the fibers of what we are as a society, shredded apart, stomped upon, wiped the asses with and then thrown to the pigs, as a coup de grâce.

Comments