Lately, I have gone back to reading. It started very slow but now I'm devouring books. I guess it's a fiction I can safely go to, get immersed and then let go.

I just put down High Fidelity from Nick Hornby. I think it's funny and I like how Linda, the female character is portrayed as someone who is incredibly smart and witty. It was hard not to have John Cusack or Jack Black popping up in my mind constantly but what I was excited about were the musical references in the book. A lot of them :) Some I liked, some I didn't.

For example, there's this song from the Bee Gees I had forgotten it ever existed. There's "Latin Lupe Lu" by the Righteous Brothers, Jean Knight, this song by The Jackson Five. Great findings were The Fire Engines, The Auteurs, Junior Wells, Ann Peebles and Little Walter. It's evident Al Green is an all time favorite through the book and the the final chapter offers the reader the following line-up:
The O'Jays, Backstabbers
Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes, Satisfaction Guaranteed
Maddona, Holiday
Donny Hathaway, The Ghetto and
The Specials with Nelson Mandela

Not bad, huh? At all. Now I have more music to listen to. It's like going underwater and finding these little treasure chests I open and feel so happy I took the trouble of the whole thing. Bringing the gear, the tanks... which in my case just translates into time, the time I can get away from the studio or my graphic design/interactive activities.

And one last reflection from Mr. Hornby:
"It seems to me that if you place music (and books, probably, and films, and plays, and anything that makes you feel)
at the center of your being, then you can't afford to sort out your love life, start to think of it as the finished product. You've got to pick at it and unravel it until it all comes apart and you're compelled to start all over again. Maybe we all live life at too high a pitch, those of us who absorb emotional things all day, and as a consequence we can never feel merely content: we have to be unhappy, or ecstatically, head-over-heels happy, and those states are difficult to achieve within a stable, solid relationship."



Comments

  1. Gesammtkunstwerk is bandied about as such an elite concept when the truth is: no artist creates in one discipline only. Even if one is unable to carry a tune (my case) I am influenced by the rhythm of songs when I write or draw.
    For your next reading pleasure, I can recommend Eco's "The Prague Cemetery"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment