Miley Cirus, Wrecking Ball

I heard on the radio today how one broadcaster said Mexicans only concentrate in small negative events, like the sparse episodes where election polls were not able to be set. He said, and I quote "we're only looking at the bean in the rice of a whole country that celebrated the election period pecefully and happily".

These kind of comments really make me sick.

How can someone dismiss these "isolated" events when at the polling office I was set, a man looks at my "We're missing 43" label on my chest and smiles just before asking: and the ABC nursery, and the journalists, and the candidates of this election, and Tlatlaya or Apatzingán? You have your missing numbers out of date..."

I know. Out of date. Because throughout the election period we kept loosing more "beans on that rice", even yesterday, things were more than tense in Tixtla. 




Another student is dead stated Omar García (Ayotzinapa survivor). Some other testimonies in Tlapa, Guerrero (or Teotitlán de Flores Magón in Oaxaca) speak about repression from the federal forces, shooting indiscriminately against the population. They can't go out on the streets, you can feel the fear in that voice.

To me these elections were not about votes, it wasn't even about politics, because there are other kinds of numbers that were, for me, more important than the ones people are counting. How about the incidents related to election period from the different states in Mexico?


4 deaths (another teacher), 13 wounded, at least 2 burnt vehicles, burnt ballots,
locked polling offices, riots, one man who burnt his arms, beaten officials [source

Mhmh... How many more isolated events to make it a meaningful statistic?


Isn't one enough? What do we need to understand this is someone close to us, to any of us. What else must needs to happen to understand the reasons of why these isolated events matter because it speaks volumes of what some are daring to do? One was enough. I hate to keep updating my list, in a vain effort to rescue justice from obsolescence.
El Chamuco Magazine, Demolishing Mexico

Comments