My Fair Lady, Wouldn't It Be Loverly?

Bolívar 168, Col. Obrera


And then... Someone was found alive
Family belonging to a "jew"?! Someone shouted.


We were sent to Tlalpan and Zapata

Where there was a saturation of people
in the place. I love you Mexicans.
So we headed towards División del Norte


Viaducto


Condesa Quarter, I see you are well taken care of :)
Why do we help other people? People we don't know that is.

Last week we were discussing that in my class. According to many philosophers, "men" simply put are in essence, lazy and greedy, yet given the right amount of incentives, they are willing to move but there is always a reason behind for what they do, hence, there is never such thing as a free lunch.

Altruism in reality appears to be a good thing but up close, it's usually a facade of superiority (I'm here to help you, you must be less than well) and recognition (Oh, how grand you are sir! How nice of you to...") Is it because we are able as species, to acknowledge other people that we need that recognition to understand we are alive? That we are desired? That we are making meaning out of a life?

To be honest, I don't know the answer to the conundrum. I think human race has survived because we have been able to gather and organize ourselves to reach unimagined places, even other worlds. And today was one of those days where though these matters seemed irrelevant, I kept at them while I was moving debree away from the first location I was in.

For a split second, as I was moving all these rocks into a bucket, pieces of clothes emerged. A torn shirt, a shoe, and it hit me like a bulldozer in the forehead, as we were asked to keep silent by the rescuers a few meters away to listen to any possible signs of life under the rubble. 

In any event of Nature, we know for a fact, it will always have the upper hand. There is a sense of surrender in which we all become dearly, humbly so, human. The old game of scissors, stone or paper comes to mind. A tornado wins, a hurricane does (right NOLA?), an earthquake.

Thousands filled the streets. Food was available, people kept bringing more, to the point of asking them of taking it to other places. Our lack of knowledge on brigade matters was evident. The role of the people in charge was beyond anything I would dare to write. Having inexperienced, enthusiastic people and shovels don't make them useful but a threat sometimes to themselves or worse yet, to the people we were supposed to help.


Is it? That for some moments we all run on vulnerability and empathy? Looking at some of these apartment buildings can only bring you to a meeting point: "Hello, I don't know you but I can only dare to imagine how scared were you, how vulnerable you are now without a shelter, how can I help you?"

Today was a grand day. Mexicans pulled together, these are the people I knew in 85, these are new generations that will pull through for others in the future. I would only wish, we would all pull through for the fight of our own rights, to mesh together against impune tsunamis that sweep our nation on daily bases. Ah, wouldn't it be loverly?

Comments