#NiUnaMenos #NotOneLess



I was driving one day with an open window, and for a moment, a biker came really close by as he defiantly stood by my car. I feared a robbery yet nothing happened but when I was talking about this to my friends, they all concurred, "[it was your fault], why do you drive with your open window?"

Really? I thought? How is it that driving your car with an open window becomes your fault? Why is it we have come to a historic point where getting your groceries out of your car and getting killed is your fault? Was his son's fault finding him dead on the pavement as the perpetrators fled the scene? Furthermore, was it the police's fault that through their cameras followed them to a specific zone in the city but dared not to pursue them? When have we been more vulnerable than today, where women fall like flies, killed, abused, raped and discarded in this country?
I am by far, someone who you'd think as an alarmist. I have refused to settle down in terms of driving towards certain states in my country. I venture, period. But it seems now, that action would also be my fault: to defy impunity by driving through my country. By going out at night in my city, by leaving early to work or challenge all the forces of evil to come back from it. 

Living in this country has made us guilty. Guilty because we were on the streets to be raped, because we dared to move through our wonderful country or wear a skirt, but also because we exist and others have ceased to. Forty-three students, journalists, women, human rights activists, teachers, entrepreneurs, indigenous people fighting for the right to their lands.

Yet, there's no loud sound from the District Attorney's Office, much less from our government. I can't talk about the single actions of someone who kills anyone for whatever reasons. What I can't conceive is the lack of actions from a government that does not send a message by punishing those who dare to harm their citizens. This constant silence, provides non liability and almost permission to secure a criminalistic chaos to a country who clearly has more insecurity that it can handle. 



Here's a terrible, terrible, even gruesome thought I will also be guilty of writing about, when your approval rates as a president run so low, wouldn't this be a perfect distraction? Making citizens worry about their safety instead of them looking at the evidence of a fraudulent, corrupt mandate?

Comments