The Saint Augustine Soulful Voices and the Treme Band, Oh Happy Day

Ever since I moved to New Orleans, I wanted to go to a gospel mass. Yesterday I finally went to the Jazz Mass at St. Augustine Catholic Church in celebration of the 200 Years of Treme Neighborhood. Reverend Quentin Moody, the Treme Brass Band and the St. Augustine's Soulful Voices (gospel choir) made this event something really special.

Reverend Moody is the kind of priest you like from the get go. He was funny and witty. In his sermon he mentioned how Treme's blending of cultures has made it not only a unique space but an example of different cultures living together in harmony. I wish I had written down who his quote about small gardens making forests belonged to, because he wisely referenced it as a way of acknowledging the force of strong families building a powerful community.

I believe that God was there yesterday. And in regards to what God is for anyone I think the presence of something divine was there yesterday. I observed these rituals in complete amazement and respect because they were part of my life when I was very little and now that I'm all grown up I see them in a completely different way.

I saw people holding hands, I saw people dancing and moving their heads in approval, I saw people internally reflecting if someone needed a prayer or help, I saw people celebrating a 50th year anniversary (to which I almost teared up) and mostly, I saw people celebrating faith, together. 

But in a Jazz Mass... I heard music. I would have become an avid catholic if gospel masses had been around in Mexico. It made me reflect on the power of music and it's role in the search of the sublime.

As if this celebration hadn't been enough, a Second Line was waiting outside. I thought how this day had been a number of little celebrations circumscribed into larger ones. Two hundred years within a space and place in time, a neighborhood that's all about diversity and cultural respect. It's these intricate pockets that make New Orleans a number of celebrations within a larger one, a complex number of symbols thrown together, tossed over through the skies that sometimes seem to work in parallel dimensions, spaces and time.

My personal celebration was about faith, but faith as optimism in life. I have to believe that I've conquered some internal landmarks. I had the chance to reflect of how it's been some months now, that I have failed myself to be happy, to be excited about life the way I used to before. I feel if you have optimism, then you can wait in peace of whatever outcome your life may become. You celebrate what's divine within each day and then the future doesn't matter that much anymore.

 
 

Comments

  1. Amen Sista´!!

    Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.
    Helen Keller

    Lo que tiene que ser será,
    a su tiempo y en su momento.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment