Marcela Ibarra Mateos, Mom if I disappear where do I go? (Poem for the 43 Ayotzinapa students)


Mom, if I disappear, where do I go?

I do not know son. 

Just know that if you disappeared
I would look for you between the earth and below it.

I would knock on every house.

I would ask each and every one of the people
who I'd find in my way.

I would demand, each and every day,
to every institution in charge of looking for you to do so
till they would find you.

And I would want son, for you not to be afraid,
because I 'm looking for you.

And if they don't listen to me, son;

My voice would become stronger and I would
scream your name on the streets.

I would break windows and
overthrow doors just to find you.

I would burn down buildings to let everyone know how much I love you
and how much I want you back.

I would paint walls with your name in them and would not let anyone forget.

I would look for others who were also looking for their children
so that together we could find you and them.

And I would want son, for you not to be afraid,
because there are many of us looking for you.

If you didn't disappear son, which is what I wish and would like.

I would shout the names of all those who have disappeared.

I would write their names on the walls.

I would embrace in the distance and in closeness, all those parents and mothers;
sisters and brothers who are searching for their missing ones.

I would walk elbow to elbow with them on the streets.

And would not allow their names to be forgotten. 

And I would want son, for all of them not to be afraid, 
because we are all looking for them.

Comments