Dominique González-Foerster, Chronotopes and Dioramas

[source]
I want to make a final reflection around Art museums. For a moment, while I was resting my feet inside one of the museums, I thought about how these institutions are carefully regulated by so many constraints: directors, curators, trustees, board members...

As my eyes followed the concrete structure, I felt I was sitting inside a diorama, looking out towards the halls of the American Museum of Natural History, on the label outside it would be written:
"Art Museums
Places where people used to look at art".

I entertained that idea for a while. What would happen if art museums moved even farther away from the artists? What would it happen as boards kept failing to diversify their members in their structures? Would people feel they were not represented, that elitism had certainly taken over with a language so convoluted, only the museum would be able to decipher? Wait, has this already happened?

As I moved my feet up and down, I kept thinking... How many other structures seem to be in a diorama in Mexico? Religion, marriage, economy, justice? And if I had to propose any idea to renovate any of these, where would I start?

Comments