#3de3: A moral exercise for our candidates

This initiative started by demanding the candidates the following: "If you're asking for my vote, please allow me to know these simple 3 things about you:

1. Your assets declaration
2. Your interests declaration
3. Your IRS declaration


https://candidatotransparente.mx/#/
Up to now, 331 candidates from the 4,496 have been registered on the website. You would think independent candidates would have used this platform to engage their possible voters but 3 of them actually did this process.

Which makes me wonder if I should null my vote this intermediate elections. It sounds so counter civic in a way. But after all the simulations in Mexico and the lack thereof justice and freedom of press, why would this process be any different?



Rigoberta Menchú asked for a minute of silence for the 43 missing Ayotzinapa students at an event in Guerrero. A minute after, a woman came up on stage. She briefly tells "sister" Rigoberta of her personal admiration for her struggle but she apologizes for asking her a question: How is it can they [any candidate] ask us for our vote? She then keeps going, she's 27, she's been working in the arts and culture scene since she was 14 with a collective in Acatlán. And then asks again, since October 26th, 2012 she has known about 50 cases of disappearances around her, starting with the first one, the daughter of her cousin: Gabriela Insén Ortíz Vázquez (15 years old) and the most recent one this past May 30th: Gilberto Abundis Sánchez. A graphic artist taken away from his house while he was watering his parent's garden. They decapitated him and they found his body in a complete state of decomposition.

She then bravely asks the governor, how can you ask us for our vote when in one of the walls in my municipality, there's a phrase that sets a doubt of a murder, whether true or false about one of the candidates we are supposed to vote for?


We're missing 43. There's no election period without a solution.
And finally, she closes her statement by asking Rigoberta or any of the people that ask for minutes of silence for the Ayotzinapa students or even for all the disappeared people in their states and in this country, to not do so anymore. "Because asking for a minute of silence for each person that has disappeared in our state and in our country means to keep an eternal silence".

A few days ago I posted about being in deep Mexico and though that is my reality, I will always feel there is another vein, running deeper through my country. One I'm separated by the concrete in my city, one that likes the HOLA! magazines and the fashion in Milan. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I'm just saying crudity or injustice means outrage and despair in other Mexican states, while in the capital we watch these things unfold while we drink our coffees in a Starbucks. And that divide I think, is terribly sad.

Comments