Outward

I had an amazing day.
It started like this:


Very introspective, brave in so many ways. Leaving thing behind issues and assuming new ones. It was as if, for a moment I was the sum of all the events in my life and then again, my present didn't have to go through the past to asume the present.

All my memories seemed so dim. Vague. Prehistoric.



So I decided to wander into Mexico's downtown on a Sunday afternoon. Right in the middle of thousands of swarming, moving people, I just walked in awe with the complexity of the Mexican essence. At Diego Rivera Mural Museum I listened to Bach whilst watching Rivera's tracing hand of Mexican sweets sold by indigenous kids, political figures, balloons and the artists of the time. 




Happy to find this Nunik Sauret's piece :)
On my way out, there were chess players challenging each other. In some cases, two or three people were advising moves against one player. "Sometimes there are large numbers of us against one single player, it's not unfair, it's just that every now and then, one clever mind is really hard to beat". By my side, a man with an old and dirty, patched up suit, was looking at the players, he must have been around seventy, greasy hair, holding an old book which I couldn't understand the cursive font but deep down, I decided it had to be about poetry or philosophy.



On my way to Laboratorio de Arte Alameda I found the Antiguo Café Colón, an old, traditional place where my grandparents used to have breakfast. Not worth eating in it, but the woman who served me a plate of green enchiladas was kind enough to tell me about this "shady" part of the Alameda plaza.

When I finally got to my destination, the Laboratorio was closed but the policeman told me there was supposed to be an event at 7pm. So I used my ole technique of getting lost on purpose till I found Barrio Alameda, part hotel and part micro mall, where I stumbled upon Mundana, a hipster mezcalería.


sliced green tomato with maguey salt and ancho chili ash
For two hours I drank a special and unique mezcal while I wrote in my notebook, absorbed about the facts I hadn't been able to write for a long time. What a ride. I'm so glad in so many ways I'm not the same person... That would have been a tragedy.

At Laboratorio de Arte Alameda, there was a listening session of  Élaine Radigue's work, she was Pierre Shaffer's student. Don't get me wrong, I understand the dimension of her work, specially me but when you get hushed by some people because I was taking pictures/video in the darkness with my old film camera (in the most silent possible way), I understood I had nothing to do in there unless she was actually improvising with her Arp 2500 synthesizer and megaphone.



Finally my night ended up like this:

Not bad, I think.

Comments