Depeche Mode, But Not Tonight



I had a car crash. I was coming back from someone's birthday. All I remember, was looking at orange cones on the pavement on the right side of the road, a car slowing down on the left lane and the distance that kept diminishing as each second went by.

I managed to hit the brakes but it had just started raining. The car skidded left as I crashed towards the retaining wall, bounced and drove into a white truck. It's funny the things you think as these events unfold. I remembered watching a documentary on the benefits of letting your body loose as you crash. So I let the car and my body go with the flow.

I'm ok, thankfully, really thankfully, the truck I crashed unto was empty because the driver was setting the orange cones from a previous crash, the reason road was getting closed. Ambulance was already there, hell, it was almost like a Crash à la Carte. Of course I was crying and shaking, but I was perfectly aware that it could have been worse.

Paramedics set a soft neck collar as the other people involved in the previous crash stepped into the ambulance. Little by little, we all got acquainted. An older brother had literally saved the smallest, sweetest boy named Ian, who was travelling in his lap and whom he protected in his tightest embrace.

They were going to the soccer match. Soon we were all laughter and smiles as the ambulance drove us all towards a zone where insurance companies were asked to meet us... We were making bets on which team was going to win the match. For a moment we all forgot what had happened and if someone had tamales and some tequilas we might have made a Not-Day of the Dead Party at the deserted, foggy and cold spot we were at. Paramedics could have done the Macarena along with the fluorescent vested officers. I could see my after hours, inflamed speech towards La Parca (Grim Reaper), making fun of the accident, dancing around her, singing But Nooooot Tonight!

Comments