@Aristegui's Case


I was summoned by a tribunal in regards to Aristegui's case. You had to comply almost immediately (two days after) and present yourself to this place from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. While I was waiting for a bureaucratic procedure, I was getting a bit nervous about my car I had temporarily parked in front of the building. 

I asked the lady by the window if I could just take a quick peek at my car from her side of the building which meant getting close to her cubicle and looking out. She looked at me and quickly replied, I'm sorry you can't do that. I smiled because I thought it was a joke. She was dead serious. Excuse me, I said, but may I ask why not? She replied without looking back at me, well, thing is, we're officially closed, and so does this area... I stared at her in disbelief. But I'm inside the tribunal, I uttered, what do you mean? Well, I'm sorry but as I said before, this (and demarcated the desk by the window with her index finger) area is closed. 

Small power is a mystery to me. Specially after living in the US, or well, after living in New Orleans I shall point out. Usually people try to help you, if they can. But here, sometimes, you can see big buses charging over small cars, nasty bank employees taking their time as they see you're in a hurry, it's all the same... When did we become this getting even society? Solidarity seems a forgotten word, piled up against a wall, gathering dust in a fluorescent lit, government office.

Comments