Demystifying the Southern Hemisphere


It all started with a joke, someone said how water spins counterclockwise in the South and that course, became of great interest to me. Was it true?

Bathtub Experiment 1

Then I learned about the Coriolis Effect:


So I guess it's just an effect that no one seemed to be set upon. I loved it. Yet:

The direction of rotation in draining sinks and toilets is NOT determined by the rotation of the Earth, but by rotation that was introduced earlier when it was being filled or subsequently being disturbed (say by washing). The rotation of the Earth does influence the direction of rotation of large weather systems and large vortices in the oceans, for these are very long-lived phenomena and so allow the very weak Coriolis force to produce a significant effect, with time. [bad coriolis source]

This information then sent my head spinning around like Mafalda in the comic posted above. I asked the following question to everyone on the table: "If, our body is 80% water what would this do to us in daily basis? Would this change our moods, our digestion, our minds? Maybe we could become different in a different hemisphere? I have been sleeping wonderfully, I'm so relaxed it's almost hilarious the way I dose off at any opportunity I can get.

Comments