Monty Python, Bring out your dead!


I never spilled any drink on any computer in my long relationship with technology. Ever. From my first  iMac G3, several laptops from the places I´ve worked in and studied, this had never happened to me. It sounds so cliché it hurts, saying "there´s always that first time" does´t help either. I guess it just makes it more depressing in  way.

Well, there I was, taking gigantic gulps of mineral water, being optimistic after coming back from the college I´m teaching and enjoying the amazing weather along with some work from my clients I had pending. I just remember the plastic bottle bouncing and listening to thousand bubbles trickle into the keyboard.

I´m sure if someone had seen the scene, I probably didn´t react as fast as I felt I did. I managed to utter (or scream?) a Nooooo! Took the bottle out of the way and turned the laptop upside down. After 30 seconds of dripping, the computer switched off.

A black screen looked at me. No blinking, no sound, no signs of technological survival. And I´m not alone. Milk, soda, water, you name it. All the stories share the same chaotic chronology: the dog, the stumbling, the falling of the container, the loss.

Will I ever get this computer to work again is just a matter (at this point) of luck and faith. I do see a trip to a MacStore in my near future and I don´t think any amount of rice is going to help. (Yes, someone thinks if you place the Mac in a bag of rice, it will get the moisture out).

First time. After 10 years of traveling and working together, will Kamchatka rest in peace or survive once again (after falls, two dead batteries and two power cables)?

Comments