Some thoughts about teaching


I always wondered who were the people I had for a teacher, I mean, who was the actual person that became a teacher and for what reasons. Was it a calling? Was it something they dreamt of when they were little? Or did they just stumble upon the job application and said, why not?

Well, after a few years I discovered my teachers were far from what I believed they were. One of the best teachers I got, had a drinking problem, another was going out with some of the students. It was as if the idea of life's troubles never filtered through then, it all seemed to be outside but not in the school.

Now I´m a teacher and I have come to think about my teachers. Even the ones in the master´s degree. Who were the people that inspired me to be better than I was? What did they actually teach me? Was it technique or creativity, was it the way they helped me achieve a goal or was it they believed in me?

Comments