The first student that mocks you


Nobody tells you about the first student who will mock you. It will always come as a surprise because you have been so immersed in making something interesting and creative out of Illustrator tools that you never seemed to notice anything else.

Someone in the back was making fun of me and for the first time I could see myself in the front of the classroom asking out loud: "What did you just say?" I heard him mumble, "Mhen…nothing I was just asking a question but it´s not important…" Then I heard someone whispering by his side, "You´re making fun of the teacher…"

Isn´t this funny? Part of me thinks it is. Part of me hates it. I´m the T-E-A-C-H-E-R. I´m the one that has the ability to hold control of a group but group dynamics are not that clear cut. Most of the advices I heard are, just be strict and they will follow. Really? Isn´t content supposed to play a major role in their span of attention? I feel if a student doesn´t feel challenged, the more likely he or she will get frustrated. But what about the lack of respect? What makes a student feel he or she is superior than the teacher?

Lack of security in the teacher, I have come to believe. So, there again, group dynamics are not so easy. I also believe some students are just mean, and some acts are unfair, and there´s war in the world.


Comments