Bob Dylan, Stay With Me


I met a fortune teller today. Dressed in a blue aqua dress she asked me to shuffle the cards 7 times and then divide them in three. One for past, present and future I later learned as she put my hand above each heap and asked me to repeat "for my past, my present and my future".

Too cynical, I thought, I'm way too cynical for this. Why isn't this woman working for Peña Nieto, Obama, or anyone in power? In any case, I wanted to be open to the experience, enjoy it for what it was. 

Did she tell me stuff about my life I didn't know? No. Did she surprise me by telling me something she couldn't possibly know? Yes. Did my pupils dilate? Did I change my body language? Did I blurt out information? Probably so.

The result of this experience made me humble about recognising my own humanity. The fact we're merely a bunch of simple expectations circumscribed into the following cycles: health, work, money, love, kids and travels made me feel warmth and tenderness for myself. That is what defines human fulfilment. Not solving the greenhouse effect, or finding the cure for cancer, resolve the Ayotzinapa case or balance inequality, nope... Will I be significant to another? Will I get that job? Should I take that opportunity? How predictable and mortal it is that we need to deal with uncertainty. Will we embrace it with optimism or fill it with fear? That is where the real fortune lies.

Comments