On Apathy

[source]
There are some things I can't do anything about and I do realize, students change from semester to semester but I worry about their own motivation. I hear them complain about the projects but when given a project based on their terms it makes no difference to them at all.

Infographics is what we're doing now. I would have loved to make one back in the day. Specially about a subject I love. I have spoken with other teachers and knowing we all suffer from the same ailment is of no comfort at all.

I hate to know students react so apathetically in general, it seems frustration hasn't been exerted in their lives and when asked to sketch, they make one sketch believing they have done the work. Technology is not helping either. It allows them to create something that will look quite good in no time at all. Are they designing? No. Are they standardising websites and templates as their preferred media to create interactive environments? Sadly, yes.

How can you starve these minds in order to make them hungry? I don't know. I have used so many ways to keep them interested but it seems like an illusion. Nevertheless, I'll keep trying.

Comments