Against Censorship, #MiDerechoComoAudiencia




A silly protest is better than a silly person that doesn't protest.




A civil society takes time to become active even more so, become organized. The task seemed pretty easy: Go to this link, download the manual to present an individual and legal claim to reinstate Aristegui and her team back to MVS. Finally, as an option, come to the Revolution Monument where we will take all your documents and take them to court.

Now let me just explain it's not that the intention of this petition will actually manage to bring #Aristegui back. I guess it's just the fact we can gather to do one chore together as a country, to actually make us understand we're a Republic and not a Republic behaving like a Dictatorship.

I went there thinking whether I should bring a printer with me. I brushed off the idea. Of course the people organising this massive thing in the monument would be in charge of this. The fact I'm mentioning this is because, as you have guessed by now, there wasn't an efficient way nearby to get 7 photocopies of this document you had to then, fill by hand, sign on every page to finally add an additional photocopy of your valid id with each and every one of them.

While I was looking for a "papelería" or photocopying place that was miraculously open on Sunday around the area, I kept discovering the deeper Mexico which I will always be fascinated by. It's like a tidal wave taking me in, deeper, for longer periods of time, pushing me sometimes, away from the chore I was set out to do. Seventy pesos of photocopies, 10 blocks away from the spot we had to deliver them, filling all them by hand... If this were an interactive system it would have failed miserably. It's a lot to ask from someone, certainly from people not used to fight for something.

While filling these sheets of legal jargon, a man next to me made a joke: "I guess it's easier to click on the 'Like' button on Facebook". We both laughed. Yes. Indeed. Civil action takes your Sunday rest away from you and though these processes will take more time to get better organized it's something. A small ant that knows that though one grain doesn't manage to move a mountain, maybe grain by grain we might just try.

Comments