Dang! How beautiful my land is, how beautiful it is!


It's a beautiful afternoon and I'm sitting in San Miguel's main plaza. Pace is slow, even for a Sunday. This is a place where there's still a repair shop for typewriters and old sewing machines, a homemade ice-cream cart drawn by a horse and nuns selling a spanish version of eggnog called rompope.

Yet, 30% of the population in San Miguel is composed of international foreigners, mostly from the US. That means a gradual change has seeped into some parts of the town. Lovely yet quaint boutique hotels, extraordinary bakeries that reminded me of european coffee shops, fusion cuisine and traditional handcrafted techniques elevated into amazing contemporary products all around the city.

I found these kids on my way back from some art galleries. As I was listening to them I felt incredibly moved about their talent, but as the music went on, I knew there was a a deeper reason to my feelings. Why did we let so many years pass to react towards all our impune governments? When did we let things carelessly slip by: the EZLN, Colossio's murder, femicides in Juárez... The list is long.

I took a look around, people standing by, listening to these young people... Mexicans are colourful, warm, prone to smiling and deeply kind. This kind or any kind of talent for that matter, has always strived in the worst kind of circumstances and I wondered since when, did we grow used to survive instead of living freely, since when did we trade gratefulness of returning home alive instead of flourishing and exponentiating our creative force.

We should try to protect our resources, we need to take pride in our magic and our intricate past, we have to take back spaces where corruption has taken away from us and seek the truth in reality by ourselves (maybe in our present time through foreign institutions until we regain some sense of order).

There's a Mexican song, Ay Caray Caray! Qué bonita mi Tierra, qué bonita, que linda es! 

Comments